Variable hours on ‘if and when required’ basis contract for 1 year
Overall Purpose of Job
As a Programme Assistant you will be expected to provide personal and activity based assistance to the service users of the Supported Living and Holiday Centre Services in a way which enhances their independence, dignity and self-esteem as members of the local community.
This role will have split location between Callan and Kilkenny City.
For the successful implementation of this role there are a number of relationships which should be fostered and developed: primarily these will be with the service users and their advocates. Close liaison is also required with the Services Coordinator, Service Support Officer, colleagues and volunteers, as well as the members’ families. Links will also be made with relevant voluntary and statutory agencies and educational institutes.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To support individual service users to maximise their potential using a person centred approach.
- Assisting service users in all aspects of personal care and daily living as identified by the service user.
- Supporting participation in social activities outside the home as identified by the service user.
- Supporting independent living skills training as identified by the service user.
- To be a key worker and advocate for the service users.
- Completing as required the normal range of duties associated with the upkeep of a service user’s residence.
- Ensuring that your work and interaction with others is such that it promotes and enhances the independent living capacity of the service users.
- To be available to work flexible hours, i.e. mornings, evenings, overnights.
- Implementing the action planning and reporting systems within the parameters set by the Service Co-ordinator.
- Actively ensure that standards and practices regarding health and safety are fully adhered to in all areas of the service. Record and report any incidents/accidents to the Service Co-ordinator.
- To work in a confidential manner respecting people’s right to privacy and your role in their home.
- Carry out other duties and/or responsibilities which may be assigned to you from time to time
Training, Experience and Qualifications
- A minimum of 5 completed modules of FETAC level 5 (Major Award) Care Support or similar qualification is essential. FETAC Major Awards that are deemed relevant to IWA are:
- Community & Health Services (to include minor components Safety & Health at Work and Care Provision & Practice)
- Health Service Skills (to include minor components in Workplace Statutory Policies & Procedures and Care Skills and Care Support)
- Health Care Support (to include minor components Safety & Health at Work and Care Skills and Care Support)
- Category B Driving Licence is required
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong computer and administration skills an advantage
- Previous experience of working with people with disabilities is desirable
- Understanding of the social model of disability and the concepts of person centred planning an advantage
- Understanding of independent living is desirable
- The ability to work as part of a team and work on own initiative
- An ability to build strong relationships at all levels and show confidence among the team
- Strong customer service focus
- Be of good character
Remuneration & Benefits
- Flexible hours including day, evening, overnight and on-call rota
- Salary range for this position is €12.29 - €15.15 per hour (DOE)
- Excellent working conditions
- Training & development opportunities
- Annual leave - 8% of working hours
- PRSA Pension scheme available and group VHI & HSF Health Cash Plans
- Employee Assistance Programme
This job description is a guide to the general range of duties and is not intended to be either restrictive or definitive and may be subject to periodic review.